If you’re like me and you either have a job but don’t have an office, or have several freelance jobs and don’t have an office and your home is not exactly the most productive or comfortable place to be, you’re going to need a good, reliable work spot. Here are a list of places around New York City that I’ve found the best and not-so-best luck with. Sorry that many of these are in Williamsburg– but, you know, that’s where I live so, whatever.
These are places where you can almost always find a seat, get free wifi, and have fairly easy access to a plug
- Phoebe’s– Though it can get a little loud sometimes in there, they have lots of table space, and….A POWER STRIP! Really outstandingly convenient, as I’m pretty sure there are only like 10 outlets total in the entire city of New York
- House of Small Wonder –LOOOTs of space, free wifi, though not sure about their plug situation.
- M Noodle Shop – Not the most comfortable seating, but there is usually plenty of it, and they have outlets and free wifi.
These are places that are, like, at your own risk:
- The Ace Hotel– it seemingly has everything, plus pretty nice looking dudes, but like, good luck finding a seat. It IS possible to do so, but you just have to strike when the time is right. I have yet to personally figure out when that time is.
- Bliss Cafe-- I’m not sure if they have wi-fi, but they do have space, and because the waitresses are so inattentive, they never really bother you about leaving. However, I’m sure they all hate me anyhow.
- Le Pain Quotidien– I’ve only been to the one kinda by 8th street and Broadway, but like, they’re really nice about letting you bring your laptop in and take up as much room as you like within reason. The only thing is, their food can be a bit pricey and you know, just the whole it being a bourgie chain thing. Also, I’m not entirely sure if they have wifi.
Don’t Even Bother
- Blackbird Parlor– They have really strict rules about bringing laptops inside, they have no outlets, and who knows if they even have wifi.
- Verb Cafe-- I just know I’m gonna spill something on my computer, for some reason, plus the tables are super small. And you have to pay for internet.
- Starbucks– Have you ever actually sat down at a Starbucks in NY? Neither have I. I don’t know who these people are that find seats with their laptops and type away for what has to be at least 72 hours straight. Maybe they’re part of the Illuminati, Shriners, Freemasons, or some other secret society I’m not a part of.
Photo courtesy of Zaradeth’s Domain.