So here are the rules my fucking lawyers made me post about entering this contest. I was going to say screw it, but they were pretty insistent. They know this legal stuff way better than me considering I can barely spell layer. Anyways, here’s the rules:
“You” means you, the person entering the contest. “Us” or “our” or “we” means me, Broke-Ass Stuart, my goddamn website, and any of the people who work with me, or any company I may form. “Design” is the thing you are submitting (duh), including the words, format, colors, and design elements.
For your entry to be considered you must agree to the terms below:
1. Submit as many entries as you like. The entries should be formatted as a jpeg and should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. We will choose the winning designs by May 31st, 2011. (but probably before)
3. Designs will be judged on the following criteria: the ones we like the best, and that’s it.
4. The people who submit the winning designs will receive a prize of $200 to be delivered within a reasonable amount of time after the contest ends.
5. By entering this contest you warrant that you are the sole owner of the design; that you have not previously assigned, pledged or otherwise encumbered the design; that you have the full power to enter the design in this contest; that the design is original, has not been published before, and is not in the public domain; that it does not violate any right of privacy or any property right of any person; and that it does not infringe upon any statutory or common law copyright, and that it does not, in whole or in part, knowingly or unknowingly, infringe upon any intellectual property rights of any third party.
6. You hereby agree to hold us, our licensees and any seller of an item which features the design in whole or in part, harmless from any liability, loss or damages (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of any claim, action or proceeding inconsistent with the your warranties or representations
7. By entering this contest you hereby assign to us all right, title and interest in and to the design, including the right to reproduce, modify, and use in any manner throughout the world, in whole or in part in any manner or medium, and to authorize others to do the same. You agree that the design shall be considered to be a “work made for hire” as that term is so defined pursuant to copyright law. In other words, we’ll own all rights to the design, you won’t.
8. We shall have the right to secure the intellectual property in the design (including copyright/trademark) in our name as the owner of a work made for hire, or permit others to do the same. We shall have the right to assign, license or sell the design as we see fit, as the owner of a work made for hire, without credit or further consideration to you.
9. We will publish your name and links to your website along with the winning design on our website. We have no obligation to provide any further credit to you with reference to the design.
10. You acknowledge that many entries may contain designs that are substantially similar. You hereby agree to waive any right you may have at equity or at law against us with reference to the design chosen, this contest, or any other matter arising out of your submission.
11. If we don’t like any of the designs, we reserve the right not to choose a winner. If this is the case, the rules of the contest (other than #2) still remain in effect.
12. We are under no obligation to use the design we choose. The people with the winning submissions have no expectancy of anything other than receipt of the $200 prize and publication of name and design on our website.
That’s it. Damn lawyers. Now let’s see what you got.