What does a Broke-Ass Mom want for the Holidays?
This is actually a harder question than it may seem. Something about giving birth to another human being makes you not need or want as much. Or at least that’s how it feels. It’s hard to separate your needs and wants apart from your family’s. But for everyone’s sanity you must do it. So what don’t we want?
We don’t want a book because who has time to read? We don’t want a manicure because we’re not that type of girl we are, and who wants to waste a few precious hours sitting on your ass in a chair getting your nails done when within fifteen minutes they’ll be ruined? Probably don’t want a gym membership because again who has time for that? I’m thinking the perfect gift for a Broke-Ass Mom is maybe a little TLC by making her feel less like a Mom and more like a wife or a partner? Below are my ideas:
1. Let her wake up to a perfectly quiet house on Saturday morning because you’ve taken the kids out for breakfast.
2. Allow her the freedom to buy a shirt or a sweater guilt free. There are two ways you can go on this one: 1) Go shopping with her but you take care of the baby the whole time or 2) Tell her you’re taking the kids to the playground and to go have fun for a few hours.
3. Buy her a small gift that makes her feel like you’re still attracted to her even though she has spit-up in her hair, and pee down her pants.
4. Be proactive. Pick a weekend night, arrange for a babysitter, choose a restaurant, and take her out to eat. It doesn’t have to be fancy, hell it could be burgers for all she cares. The trick is don’t make this is big ordeal, just dinner, and then it’s no big deal if she planned on getting the laundry done that night. Or is she wants to make it home in time for Grey’s Anatomy, that can still happen.
5. A day in the life of (a day where you do everything and she does nothing) – get the kids up, change their diapers (every single one), plan the day’s activities, feed them all their meals, put them down for a nap, plan and make dinner, help clean the house, wash the dishes, give the kids a bath, and put them to bed.
6. (One more for good measure) A coupon book – give them a coupon book that they can cash in with all the things she hates to do (wash dishes for a day, do the laundry, change the diapers, feed the kids, do the grocery shopping, wash the floors, free night out with the girls, etc). This can be anything that she doesn’t like and that maybe you wouldn’t normally do.
Most of all, a Broke-Ass Mom wants to be reminded of how much you love her, how much you appreciate her, and how much you still find her sexy.
Photo by: Istockphoto skymesher