How To Get More Bang (wink wink) For Your bottle
So, it’s Valentine’s week (Yes, it’s an entire week now. Sorry.) and I don’t care if you’re fully ball-n-chained or single and swinging that thang all over the city, one thing V-day evokes in every last warm-blooded human being is the desire to get… some. You know what I’m talking about, tiger. Yeeeaaaah.
Furthermore, let’s face it. Most of you really got no game (fellas, I’m talking to you right now). No really, you don’t. It’s nothing personal… I’m sure you’re an awesome person with a passable moral compass, but when it comes to making your ladies melt like a blue slurpee on a hot summer day, you’re likely winging it.
Ok, so maybe getting some isn’t actually all that difficult once booze enters the equation, but it still doesn’t mean you got game. If you want to own the situation, you need to get
medieval subliminal on that shit. Send a message in a bottle, if you will?
Let’s start with the type of booze- if you haven’t noticed, ladies love and expect to be greeted with a bottle of wine on V-day. If you’ve done your homework (i.e. read my column), she won’t know that it’s just a cheap means to her rear end. All she’ll see (and subliminally think about) are these things:
– Cork: says “I’m old fashioned, romantic, and strong enough to pull this sticky cork out of the bottle. And stick it back in. And pull it out. And in. And out….” You get the idea.
– Screwcap: Dude, it’s a “screw” cap. She’s bound to have a dirty interpretation of that somewhere underneath all those poised, logical synapses.
– Pink: If you want her to think you’re some kind of sensitive, touchy-feely guy.
– Red: If you want to fire up her inner passions (aka, get freaky).
– White: If you want to play it cool or let her know you can get freaky AND still be besties.
– Bubbles: Bubbles can include all categories above and below. It’s a pretty safe move, actually (if not totally obvious). But bubbles don’t suck. Ever.
– Sweet: Sort of speaks for itself… I also just personally think sweet wines are aphrodisiacs, so there’s that.
– Dry: Probably has more alcohol than the sweet wine, which means you can spend less time drinking, more time being freaky.
The Pairing: La Pièce de Résistance!
– Pink wines pair well with everything. For reals, eat whatever the hell you want because you just bought your girl a PINK-f’n-WINE. If she’s into that, then you’re good to go, compadre.
– Red: Big fat steak. She might compliment the cut of steak on her plate, but she’ll really be thinking about that salami in your pants.
– White: A well-made fish dish is a nice, grown-up type gesture. But NO crab. I don’t need to tell you what subliminal message that sends.
Bieler Père et Fils Provence Rosé (~$10) – French, dry, delicious. Also, not White Zin. You’re welcome.
Dibon Brut Reserva Cava (~$10) – If you go the obvies route, this is good bubbly.
Elsa Bianchi Malbec (~$9) – Argentine folks do two things really well: meat & Malbec. They probably do that thang really well too, but I haven’t checked that off my bucket list yet.
Rene Barbier Mediterranean White (~$6) – Screwcapped. Fruity, fun, & a little sweet, but not too sweet… kinda like yours truly.
Happy National Get Freaky Week! ~ TBC