Broke-Ass of the Week – Marissa Barker

Every week we feature a different person from the community shedding a little light on their life of brokeitude.  Who knows, maybe you’ll learn something about the human spirit…probably not.

Wanna be a Broke-Ass of the Week?  Holler at us here and we’ll send you the questionnaire.

I don’t know much about Marissa other than she’s a broke-ass, she likes beer, and gets down to Dee Dee Bridgewater..  Sounds like our kind of person.  Read below to get her tips on brokeitude.

Name: Marissa Barker

Age: 25

Occupation: Admin Whore/Aspiring Something Else

What neighborhood do you live in?: Noe Valley, SF

What are you listening to these days?: The Dee Dee Bridgewater station on last fm.

Best money saving tip: Put whatever you can in savings every month. Don’t touch it. Pretend it’s not even yours.

What do you refuse to spend money on?: Cabs. I only take them when absolutely necessary.

Most expensive thing you’ve ever bought: My trip to Europe last year.

How’d that feel?: Totally worth it.

Favorite cheap eat: This tiny place between the Twin Peaks bar and Castro Theatre on Castro Street. I have no idea what it’s called because there’s no sign but they sell a bunch of quick, cheap food. It’s great to grab a $1 hot dog before a movie.

Favorite dive bar: Trad’r Sam in the Richmond. The purple drink is the best.

Best deal you’ve ever gotten: Lip balm I was essentially paid to take when I got way too much change back at an Urban Outfitter and didn’t realize it until after I had left. Please don’t tell anyone (that this happened or that I shopped at Urban Outfitter).

Favorite free thing to do: Bring a book to Dolores Park or Washington Square and not read it because there are too many interesting people and cute dogs to watch instead.

If you woke up a millionaire, what’s the first thing you’d buy?: An apartment so I’d never have to move again. I hate moving.

Despite not having money, do you still love your life?: Of course.

Do you own my book?: No. But in broke-ass, moocher fashion, I’ve borrowed it from my roommate.

Best hangover cure: Chicken fried steak from Toast on 24th Street.

Are you a hipster?: Nopester.

About the author

Broke-Ass Stuart - Editor In Cheap

I've been called "an Underground legend": SF Chronicle , "an SF cult hero": SF Bay Guardian, and "the chief of cheap": Time Out New York, but to those familiar with my work, I'm just "that douchebag who writes books about cheap stuff and drinks a lot".

1. Anne says:

Marissa Barker has made herself famous through her mean-spirited, immature tweet:

2. theGOONIES says:

Ahh !!,    Her true colors are now available for the world to critique .

Your mother must be sooo proud of your lack of civility.

3. Y_we_fight_you_u says:

broke ass of the week and dumb ass of the century!

4. Momma Bear says:

Broke and morally bankrupt~  what a combo!

5. zsuzi says:

barker, you are boring.

you should take some of your money and travel MORE and find out that there is no other country like america that offers a very specific, special freedom.  this specific freedom allows asses, such as yourself, to be an ass.

or

you could be thankful for these freedoms and use your twisted tongue on the people who deserve it.

but

you wouldn’t know who those people are because you know everything.  you know all the things you will need to know for the rest of your life.

yes, as a matter of fact, you are going to live forever.

your age is 25 here so you are probably 26 now and a year later you’re just as much of an idiot as you were at 25.

so let’s recap:  still boring; stupid; asinine; lying little barker.

oh

your name befits your face…you’re a real barker…hah!

apology:  i apologize to all the people who know me and know i don’t say things like that last comment, however, i celebrate my beautiful freedom won by the most courageous idea man has ever known and forged so that i could be for 30 seconds…an ass.

but

because i am an intelligent human being and have no desire to offend another or violate anyone else’s civil liberties, constitutional, human and natural rights, i shall only partake for said 3o seconds.

ya with me barker?

6. new yorker says:

get the F out of new york and go back to san fran.

we don’t like people like you here.

7. pinkSugar says:

Maybe its because she spends too much $$ on beer and purple drinks.
    Cutting back on both of those items could help resolve both her moral and fiscal Bankruptcies..