Arts and CultureShopping, Style and Beauty

Wow, People Are Ripping Off My Ideas!

The Bay's best newsletter for underground events & news

What’s the old saying?  Imitation is the best form of flattery?  Well if that’s the case, I should be feeling more special than a 15 year old Mexican girl at her quinceanera.  I just saw last night that someone completely ripped off the shirt that Kenny and I designed.  I mean really, just look at these two shirts below.

They look amazingly similar right?  The one on the left is our shirt, I mean for fuck’s sake it’s in my own damn handwriting.  Just look at this shirt below.  It’s the original shirt that I made with a sharpie and which the Young, Broke and Beautiful shirts are based on:

photo by Victoria Smith

I actually talked to a lawyer today about it and it would be way too expensive and not really worth it to go after these guys.  A) They live in London which makes copyright shit a bit more difficult and B) It doesn’t seem like they sell a whole lot of them.  But damn, I wish they’d at least drop me an email being like, “Oy, mate.  We nicked your idear, but jolly good work chap!” and maybe send me a little loot too.  But we all know that’s not gonna happen.

So I’d like to officially invite the weak-ass wankers who run Break the Labels, to come over to California and lick my sweaty asshole.  Seriously guys, it’s an open invitation.  Drop by whenever you’d like!  Truly the only flattering thing about all of this is that I’m in good company; they’re totally biting Banksy’s shit too!

If you think this shit is as wack as I do drop them a line and let them know.

P.S. When I first thought of the tag line, “Young, Broke and Beautiful” I’d never heard of Suze Orman.  But since then it has been brought to my attention that she has a book called Young, Fabulous, and Broke.  And I certainly hadn’t heard of the clothing line that stole the title of her book.

Unstill Life: FREE Theater! FREE John Hodgeman Reading!

Art Murmur: Oakland’s FREE First Fridays

Broke-Ass Stuart - Editor In Cheap

Broke-Ass Stuart - Editor In Cheap

Stuart Schuffman, aka Broke-Ass Stuart, is a travel writer, poet, TV host, activist, and general shit-stirrer. His website BrokeAssStuart.com is one of the most influential arts & culture sites in the San Francisco Bay Area and his freelance writing has been featured in Lonely Planet, Conde Nast Traveler, The Bold Italic, Geek.com and too many other outlets to remember. His weekly column, Broke-Ass City, appears every other Thursday in the San Francisco Examiner. Stuart’s writing has been translated into four languages. In 2011 Stuart created and hosted the travel show Young, Broke, and Beautiful on IFC and in 2015 he ran for Mayor of San Francisco and got nearly 20k votes.

He's been called "an Underground legend": SF Chronicle, "an SF cult hero":SF Bay Guardian, and "the chief of cheap": Time Out New York.

1. Kate Kotler - DIY Diva
    November 4, 2009 at 5:39 pm

Boo to those London wankers. I’ll hunt them down when I’m over there this winter… And, I’ll get all the ladies of BitchBuzz to help me. 😛

2. November 4, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I think I’ll just email them Bullet-Tooth Tony’s monologue from Snatch and be done with it. It seems fitting.

3. teo
    November 5, 2009 at 2:44 am

well guys i’m from break the labels and i can tell you that we did not copy those guys.. we had a t-shirt beautiful dirty rich and we red an article about a book of cheap places in new york called young beautiful and broke so that’s where ew got our inspiration to do our t-shirt.
    nothing more then that
    we did not copy that

4. Logan
    November 5, 2009 at 8:53 am

Teo, are you sure that your inspiration for this shirt (book of cheap stuff in new York) isn’t Stuarts book, SOLD ON THIS WEBSITE? That’s a pretty blatant case of copying if you ask me. Even if it isn’t Stuart’s book that you were inspired by (probably is) then using someone else’s tagline (Stuart’s) without asking is pretty tacky at best. At worst it’s plagiarism and illegal.

Your company does make nice shirts though, and with all respect and honesty you should approach some up-and-coming businesses to do a sponsored partnership instead of blatantly apeing other people’s ideas.

5. December 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm

[…] Website fame), in response to a note I’d sent him about his recent discovery of a bunch of thieving British wankers who were selling crappy knock-offs of his “Young, Broke & Fabulous” t-shirts. […]

6. July 9, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Stuart, I sympathize. I’ve been Xanna Don’t for over 25 years. I’m an openly gay, alt-country singer & writer. A few years back, an off-Broadway show opened called “Zanna Don’t,” about an all gay world, featuring a big lesbian country number. The lawyers I talked to said I should forget about it. But it really ticked me off.
         Now I live in Atlanta where a local theater company did it two years ago. Their production got nominated for an award in the local gay newspaper. Many people told me they voted for it thinking they were voting for me! It (we) won, but the theater folks didn’t show for the awards party, so when I checked in to the guest list that evening, they mistakenly handed me the award! I walked around with it all night and posed for pictures with it. It was pretty funny and I could finally laugh about it.
         I’m sorry that sort of thing happened to you, too. But you should be having a great chuckle with the success of your new IFC show. It’s earned a regular spot on my DVR. Congrat’s!