FREE Improv Classes at Magnet Theater
If you’ve never tried your hand at improv, you should just go for the pure schadenfreude– it’s kind of like being in a reality show in real life (as bizarrely incongruous as that is), in that you have somehow stumbled into a room entirely consisting of absolute nutcases. Aside from that, though, it’s always good to challenge yourself in new and scary ways. But you don’t want to spend $300 to do so, you say? Well, Magnet Theater, just up the street from UCB, is offering some promotional introductory classes for FREE. That way, if you completely fail, you won’t feel twice as bad, because you didn’t spend any money doing so. Plus, the teachers there are super patient, helpful, and surprisingly not stuck-up, like I’ve found some comedy nerds can be.
Here are some amazing moments/recollections from a recent class I took that will stay for me, I can only hope, for life:
Join our weekly newsletter so we can send you awesome freebies, weird events, incredible articles, and gold doubloons (note: one of these is not true).
* “Hello friends! My name is [redacted], and I just came off a show called ‘Vegas, Baby, Vegas!'” Well, ‘ello, ‘ow are ‘ou, Corky St. Clair?
* “…I’m working on my one-woman show called Pussy-nomics”, said a woman with a T-Boz haircut, a very mini mini skirt, and sequined Converse high-tops. My life has approximately 80% more meaning now. And someone please get on finding out the release date of this show.
* Apparently, when put on the spot, in trying to think of any song in existence in the history of the world, I can think of nothing else but fucking “Free Fallin'” by Tom Petty. Anna G.: 0, Q106: 5 million.
* “These people make my suspected Tourette’s seem like chronic fatigue syndrome”– just one of many epiphanies I had
* Some people really do look just like their spirit animals. Sometimes spirit animals are Emus.
* If you drink too much coffee, sometimes it cancels itself out and makes you forget how to form words with your mouth