Cheap Beauty Tip of the Week: Take Care of Your Makeup Brushes
If you are someone who works with makeup on a daily basis, whether you’re a makeup artist or someone who wears it everyday, you recognize the value of investing in a set of quality makeup brushes. Depending on the brand, how many brushes you buy and the quality of brushes, a full-set of makeup brushes can cost you a pretty penny. If you’re going to invest a chunk of change into a set of expensive brushes, it’s important to know how to take care of them properly on a regular basis.
Most people wash their hair because they don’t want their hair to look or feel greasy from oils or product buildup. The same idea should apply to makeup brushes. It’s always a good idea to clean makeup brushes after each use. Clean brushes make for a better application of product, reduce the chance of bacterial build-up and help prevent nasty breakouts. Cleaning brushes on a regular basis also keeps the bristles conditioned, which helps to increase the brush’s lifespan. Spray brush cleaners are great for disinfecting brushes effectively while shortening their drying time. In addition to cleaning in-between each use, makeup brushes should also get a deep cleanse at least once a week.
To properly wash makeup brushes:
1. Add a squeeze of liquid soap to the palm of your hand. Baby shampoo or an inexpensive clarifying shampoo from the drugstore works perfectly.
2. Mix the soap with a little bit of water and swirl the brush in the palm of your hand.
3. Rinse the brush with lukewarm water.
4. Gently squeeze the excess water from the bristles while forming the brush back into its original shape.
5. Lay a paper towel onto a flat surface such as a table or counter and allow the brush to air dry.
The better you care for your makeup brushes now, the longer they will last and the less likely you’ll have to spend more money to replace them in the future.