20 Signs You’re NOT a Jaded San Franciscan
Last week the fine people over at SFist published a piece called “41 Signs You’re a Jaded San Franciscan“. It was funny,clever, and snarky, like so many things on SFist. But it got me thinking: one of the things that makes this city so amazing is that we’re not jaded. Despite all the fuckery that happens here (and there’s tons), we really do believe in the magic and mythology of San Francisco. You kind of have to suspend your disbelief to live here…for so many reasons. And so in response I’ve put together 20 Signs You’re NOT a Jaded San Franciscan. I’ve only listed 20 reasons, and there are hundreds more, so please list some of yours in the comments.
1. When Deep rides by blaring music from his Trikeasaurus you smile and say to the stranger walking past you, “I fucking love San Francisco”.
photo from Streetsblog
2. Like the rest of us, you have no idea what the 12 Galaxies are all about, but whenever you see Frank Chu it’s always a highlight of your day. (side note: every time I see him I say “Give ‘em hell Frank!” You should all do this too. IT should be a thing.)
photo from RentCafe.com
3. At some point during a warm, sunny day in Dolores Park with your friends you say, “There is no place else I’d rather be right now.”
Photo from SF.Funcheap
4. You look forward to giving Hopper’s Hands high-five or high-ten when jogging near the Golden Gate Bridge.
Photo from LoveLetterToSF
5. You actually get to jog near THE Golden Gate Bridge, one of the most famous landmarks in the world.
photo from Discovery
6. The phrase “Only in San Francisco” can legitimize or delegitimize pretty much anything you come across on a given day.
7. You’ve thought something along the lines of “I don’t want a relationship that gets in the way of my relationship with San Francisco”
photo from Scoutmob.
8. Because so many of the people you love (friends, neighbors, coworkers) are queer, you took Marriage Equality on as a personal cause, regardless your gender preference.
photo from CNN
9. Even if you don’t give a fuck about baseball, you love the fact that the Giants are made up of a bunch of freaks and weirdos, just like our city.
photo from Comeback complete
10. You’re really hoping they actually rename SFO in honor of Harvey Milk. Who better to symbolize San Francisco’s values to those who are visiting our city?
photo from SF Gate
10. You’re really hoping they actually rename The Bay Bridge in honor of Emperor Norton. Who better to symbolize San Francisco’s values to those who are visiting our city?
photo from Emperor Norton Bay Bridge
11. “Who’s got it better than us?” is actually a question you’ve given some thought to. You still haven’t come up with an answer.
photo from I So Love SF
photo from Lost at E Minor
13. You do what you can fro your homeless neighbors, even if it’s as simple as giving them your leftovers if you don’t finish your meal when you’re out to eat.
photo from NeatoRama
14. It’s almost impossible to walk between two points without running into someone you know and giving them a hug.
photo from SF Gate
15. You think The Bay Lights are cool as shit.
photo from AnywhereSF
16. You think the new Exploratorium is cool as shit.
photo from CNN
17. You think stepping in human shit is not cool as shit. Ok, you’re pretty jaded about that one.
photo from See Click Fix
18. The Giants have a Grateful Dead night. Even if you don’t like the Dead, that’s still pretty fucking cool. I mean, that’s the SF Giants basically celebrating LSD.
photo from mlb.com
19. You can smoke weed everywhere.
20. You rejoice in the fact that the only time you have to drive a car is when you leave San Francisco
photo from Hanna Winery
Update for 2016: The Frisco 5 has given you hope that through direct action and community building, change will come.