News

Jennifer Lawrence : The Face of White Privilege

Jennifer Lawrence told a story about when she purposefully defiled another culture’s sacred space, and it is cringe worthy.  The fact that she tells the story unapologetically while laughing and swinging around a glass of Chardonnay really caps off the image of white privilege.  She has no clue how selfish, insulting, and disgusting her actions are.

Here is what she said on the Graham Norton Show last week: “We were filming in Hawaii, and there were … sacred … rocks — I dunno, they were ancestors, who knows — they were sacred,” said Lawrence. “And you’re not supposed to sit on them, because you’re not supposed to expose your genitalia to them.

Watch the video here:

“I, however, was in a wetsuit for this whole shoot – oh my god, they were so good for butt itching! One rock that I was butt-scratchin’ on came loose”, prompting a landslide.

“And all the Hawaiians were like: ‘Oh my god, it’s the curse!’” she said, imitating shaking her first at the sky. “And I’m in the corner going, I’m your curse. I wedged it loose with my ass.”

Let’s see:

1)  Not caring about another culture’s customs or traditions. Check
2) Unapologetically destroying native property. Check
3) Laughing about it while swilling wine. Check
4) Makes no effort to understand why what she did was wrong or insulting. Check

Here studio and army of minders are currently attempting to scrub the internet of the video because I’m sure they are afraid of a boycott on their her new movie.  Lawrence posted one of those fake apologies on Facebook Friday.  You know the one where she’s not sorry about what she did, rather sorry if YOU were offended by it:

jennier apol

We don’t know which sacred stones she defiled or whether the Hawaiians in the story were referring to Pele’s Curse, but it doesn’t matter, Jennifer Lawrence embodies ignorant, entitled, callous, white privilege.  I hope she is never allowed back into Hawaii.

Studies Show Conservative Candidates Lie A Lot More Than Liberal Ones

How To Tell The Difference Between A Hospital And A Meat Factory

Alex Mak - Managing Editor

Alex Mak - Managing Editor

I'm the managin' editor here at Broke-Ass Stuart. I enjoy covering Bay Area News as well as writing about Arts, Culture & Nightlife.

When we're not writing, editing, or publishing articles, Stuart and I are promoting the good things in SF & NYC.

If you're a writer, artist, or performer who would like to get your work seen by our audience, or if you're a cool business and would like us to introduce you to our 120k social followers in a creative and engaging way, contact me at alex@brokeassstuart.com.

1. dasjestyr
    December 13, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I submit that the author of this article is an awful, hypocritical, garbage person for writing such a hateful article. It’s one thing to call someone out on unintentionally disrespectful behavior, but it’s an entirely different thing to answer that, intentionally, with twice the disrespect and a side of hatred. You sir are the equivalent of the crazy Christian standing on the corner screaming fire and brimstone at all the world’s sinners and accusing women of whoring because of the way they dress.

• Crystal Vielula
      Alex Mak
      December 13, 2016 at 5:56 pm

And wiping your ass on another culture’s sacred property, laughing about it, and then rolling it down the hill is…what?

• Christopher Wendle
        December 13, 2016 at 6:27 pm

She sat on rocks you idiot. That’s it she sat on some fucking rocks.

• dasjestyr
        December 13, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Is still less repulsive than this article and people like you, is what it is.

• Do Something Nice
        December 13, 2016 at 8:28 pm

Techbro is butthurt. Ron Conway sad.

Rae
      December 14, 2016 at 3:36 am

I’m just gunna go ahead and reply in this one because – just logically – it makes no sense.

daskestyr you may disapprove of Alex’s method of calling this behaviour out, and think that it’s just more of the same lack of respect, but you are also disrespecting Alex and being pretty hateful yourself. So. I see your point, but you are completely defeating your argument by acting in a way that you condemn. Anytime anybody uses the phrase “people like you” it screams of your own type of hatred.

In fact, using words like “libtard” don’t really help have any sort of constructive dialogue.

• dasjestyr
        December 14, 2016 at 2:10 pm

Look, I’m going to make this really simple — I don’t identify as a “progressive” and I’m not trying to disguise my disdain for people like this, and that’s the difference; that is my argument. Modern “progressivism” is a disease and this article is perfect example of that.

2. Christopher Wendle
    December 13, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Sacred rocks are you for real with this bullshit. What type of shitty person tries to make someone out to be a monster for sitting on rocks? It’s not because she sat on rocks its because she is white. I personally know quite a few native Hawaiians who party on these sacred rocks every night. You know absolutely nothing about these people you claim to speak for.

3. Patrick Clark
    December 13, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Here we go with the liberal social construct of white privilege. Quit with the white privilege bullshit already, what she did can be considered rude, insensitive, or even disrespectful but has nothing to do with her being white. It has more to do with her being wealthy and disconnected from the average plebes. But leave it to the liberals to assert that it is her white privilege that caused her to be inconsiderate.

4. Do Something Nice
    December 13, 2016 at 8:25 pm

Let’s see how this plays by changing a few things:

She was in (Hawaii/a church) and and having been in a wet suit all day, she had an itch. Did you know that (sacred rocks/the crucifix) is good for (butt itch/vagina itch) ? While she was scratching the itch, the (sacred mound/alter) collapsed.

Yeah, at best she’s insensitive. Imagine the hysterics if she did do this in a church.

You can take the Republican out of the Kentucky, but you can’t take the Republican out of the person.

As for the issue of her being white, only those who do not know the history of Hawaii would think that her race doesn’t matter.

5. December 13, 2016 at 9:25 pm

This is her second butt-gate. #justsayin

6. Mario Rousan
    December 14, 2016 at 6:45 am

White has nothing to do with it. A black person would have pissed and shit on those rocks. Fuck out of here.

7. Catherine
    December 14, 2016 at 12:21 pm

I love how people are pearl clutching in offense over the fact that she got called out, feeling offended that someone would call out someone’s insensitivity, while at the same time being racist. I’m a black person and I would not piss and shit on those rocks. I treat what other people consider sacred with respect, even if I don’t understand it. I am an atheist but I am not going to a church go rub my ass on anyone cross or Jesus figurine. But of course I can’t really reason with someone like Mario because based on his statement he is not too keen on black folks. But hey for all I know he could be black. Either way its really time for people to learn about privilege. Gone is the time where people of color really want to explain it and break it down in a way that doesn’t offend and hurt people. Just read the internet. Read something that doesn’t confirm what you already believe. Step outside of your comfort zone. Yes white people, like all people, you do fuck up sometimes. It’s generally not coming from a bad place but that doesn’t make it ok. Intent doesn’t erase impact. At the same time I will say she did something a little dumb but do we need to hate her for it, no. In the scheme of things happening in the world is this a big deal, not in the slightest. Hawaiians have many other issues that I am sure they would highlight as bigger like homelessness, low wages, housing etc. I regret spending this much time writing a comment on this inconsequential article on the internet, but so be it.