6 Ways To Make a Breakup More Meaningful
We could all take a cue from Justin Bieber and move on in a whole lot of light in lieu of darkness. So, here’s how to tell your ex ‘Go Love Yourself’:
1. Donate all of his/her favourite clothes to your local charity shop.
I did this once, and to this day, my friends still talk about it. I even gave the guy a mix CD titled: ‘You Can Pick Your Shit Up At The Mountain Mission’. Just because you’re going through hell doesn’t mean the less fortunate can’t benefit.
2. Make a Donation in his/her name to your favourite charity.
I fed the homeless Christmas dinner in the Philippines this year with money my ex gave me for a fucking cake pan he wouldn’t give back. Copy the charity’s logo. Copy their ‘Thank You’ for your donation. Use it as a letterhead and send ex a sweet note:
Just because you’re a dick, doesn’t mean I am.
3. Put down the Ben & Jerry’s and get the fuck off your couch.
There’s no crying in break-ups. Seriously. Mourn that shit for a day or three and get out of the house. Join a boxing class and pretend the bag is your ex. If you find yourself constantly curling up with blankets–donate them! Project Linus is one of my favourite charities! The origin is adorable, born from a young girl who got through two years of intensive chemotherapy thanks to a ‘special blankie’, so now the organization gives kids in need a hug with a warm blanket.
4. Donate some locks in the name of love.
Just like Little Mix, sometimes you gotta switch it up. There’s something liberating about completely changing your look. So get your ex out your hair with a sweet donation to Locks of Love. They create wigs and hairpieces for financially disadvantaged children who suffer from long-term medical hair loss.
Then cue the song below and get ready to hit the town with the girls in your new do.
5. Do some damn charitable shopping.
Thrift stores have labels. There are also great ‘posh’ thrift stores lurking around so many random corners. All the proceeds go to help the less fortunate, as well as helping you boost some serious self-esteem. Hell, no one is gonna know where you got those sharp duds as long as your rock that shit like a grown-ass awesome person.
6. Fill the void of losing someone you love by giving the love to someone else. There are loads of ways you can volunteer your time and get your mind positively focused on something instead of that ‘not nice of a someone’. Check out local churches who feed the homeless. Some churches, especially those located in major cities, have AIDS Project volunteer opportunities. Look to mentor a kid in need at your local Boys & Girl’s Club.
If you really want to get away from a breakup, simply sign up for a volunteer program teaching English or IT skills to children in underdeveloped areas. That will really tell him/her to ‘Go Love Yourself’, because you’ll be spreading love to the World. Who knows you might even meet someone on your ‘giving’ level.
And when all else fails grab your pals, a bottle of bubbly, and leave your dignity at the door until tomorrow.