Stern Grove Festival Drops Amazing Summer Series Lineup. Hurry to Reserve Spots!
What do you get when you mix OGs of East Bay R&B, a gothic rock goddess and a dirty 80s rap legend, and then stir in some new soul, big brass and indie love? Damn good times, that’s what.
Just a sampling of the musical geniuses scheduled to grace the grove include Tower of Power, Ledisi, Joan Jett, Too Short, The Avengers, San Francisco Symphony and Thundercat…
The 84th annual Stern Grove Festival lineup just dropped like the pot of gold at the end of a long rainbow. Concert lovers have been deprived of live music for nearly 15 months, and the first festival shiny spots teased out so far are a little less shiny after you choke on the ticket cost. But the Stern Grove organizers have pulled through to feed your soul without breaking your strained wallet.
Beginning June 20 and through August 29, the grove will be filled nearly every Sunday with sweet and titillating sounds to tame the fiend with a lineup as diverse as the city once was, and shows are still free of charge.
Executive Director Bob Fiedler said:
“Our lineup is diverse as always and we’re even going to push a few more boundaries than we usually do. Whether it’s punk rock, hip-hop, crossover jazz, or the good old Symphony on the Fourth of July, we hope that everyone can find something they love in this year’s lineup.”
Since we are still dealing with the lingering pandemic, concert-goers will need to make reservations in order to keep crowd sizes under control and people as safe as possible. Online reservations open Tuesday at 2 p.m. and can be made at www.sterngrove.org for each show of your choosing.
According to a press release shared Tuesday morning, here’s the lineup you’ll want to run, not walk, to reserve spots for:
- June 20: Ledisi, The Seshen, La Doña, LadyRyan
- June 27: Perfume Genius, Madame Gandhi, Honey Mahogany, LadyRyan
- July 4: San Francisco Symphony
- July 11: Thievery Corporation, Dessa, DJ Shortkut
- July 18: St. Paul & The Broken Bones, The Dip, DJ Omar
- July 25: X, The Avengers, DJ Omar
- August 1: Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
- August 8: Thundercat, Cassowary, DJ Shortkut
- August 15: Fitz & The Tantrums, Devon Gilfillian, DJ Omar
- August 29: The Big Picnic featuring Tower of Power, Too $hort, DJ Shortkut
The shows will also be livestreamed on the Stern Grove Festival website for those who couldn’t snag a spot in time and for others who may still be a bit nervous about germs in crowds.