NewsSan FranciscoSF Bay AreaTravel

Oakland International Airport Standoff Ends After Nearly Four Hours

The Bay's best newsletter for underground events & news

A man armed with a knife at Oakland International Airport’s Terminal 1 held off law enforcement for nearly four hours as he threatened to commit suicide on the morning of Tuesday, April 6, 2021. (Photo by Salv007)

A standoff with an armed man at the Oakland International Airport came to an end Tuesday morning after nearly four hours.

According to witness reports, the man appeared to have a knife and was threatening to commit suicide. The outer area of Terminal 1 was evacuated as law enforcement responded to the scene.

The Alameda County Sheriff’s Office posted on Twitter at 9:22 a.m. that negotiations with the suicidal man were ongoing and that airport liaisons were rerouting passengers through Terminal 2 to get to scheduled flights.

A photo posted by Will Tran of KRON 4 shows a person being wheeled out of the terminal on a gurney around 9:45 a.m. He is seen in handcuffs but did not appear to be visibly injured.

A subsequent incident report was shared by sheriff’s officials on Twitter at 10:12 a.m. where it was revealed that a sergeant “wrestled” the knife away from the man and a Taser was deployed. The subject did sustain a minor neck injury.

He was then transported to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation and help.

Residual flight delays are expected Tuesday.

Update, 10:45 a.m.: This article was updated to include more detailed incident information later provided by the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office.


Like this article? Make sure to sign up for our mailing list so you never miss a goddamn thing!
Previous post

Can I Send You This Rad Jumbo Postcard?

Next post

Newsom Says California Could Fully Reopen by Mid-June

Nik Wojcik - East Bay Editor

Nik Wojcik - East Bay Editor

Journalist, editor, student, single mom to a pack of wolves, foodie, music lover, resident smart ass, and champion of vulgarity and human kindness.