ActivismColumnsNationalNewsPoliticsSF Bay Area

Ronald Reagan Created Student Debt Because He Hated UC Berkeley

Updated: Sep 29, 2022 10:25
The Bay's best newsletter for underground events & news

Ronald Wilson Reagan Credit: PING NEWS

I hate Ronald Reagan. A lot of people say that they hate Ronald Reagan, but they don’t really know why. They know that Reagan was evil, but they don’t grasp just how truly malevolent this fucking man was. He wasn’t just a Republican. He was a monster. If I could resurrect someone from the dead, I’d resurrect him, just so I could watch him die again. If Ronald Reagan got hit by a bus, I’d be jealous of the bus driver.

In case you didn’t know, American capitalists hate the working class. Today it’s harder to tell because they’ve gotten really good at pitting us against each other over petty differences like race, religion, sexuality and gender. However, when the elite were amongst themselves, they were candid about their intentions. This was especially true in the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s. There are even recordings of Nixon and Reagan making racist remarks about African delegates who were at a United Nations meeting.

To understand what got us in the student debt crisis in the first place, we have to rewind the clocks back to the ’60s. The 1960s was a time when leftists were emerging in many of America’s cities, and the San Francisco Bay Area was at the forefront of the revolution. San Francisco’s Haight-Ashbury neighborhood buzzed with youthful ideas for a more equitable future. North Oakland birthed the Black Panther Party, but nowhere seemed to embody the spirit of the youthful leftist intellectual more than the UC Berkeley campus. That was the nucleus of the rebellion.

“We are in danger of producing an educated proletariat. That’s dynamite. We have to be selective on who we allow to go through higher education.” – Roger Freeman

While the young were tripping on acid and taking to the streets to demand an end to the Vietnam War, the parents and grandparents of these very same people were scarred that communism had infected the brains of their impressionable offspring. In comes Ronald fuckin’ Reagan, who makes  opposition to the University of California system a focal point of his campaign when he ran for governor. Unfortunately it worked and he became the Governor…

His attacks on higher education weren’t by accident. In 1970,UC Berkeley was nearly tuition free for California residents. Roger Freeman, an advisor to Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan, as reported by The Intercept, stated “We are in danger of producing an educated proletariat. That’s dynamite. We have to be selective on who we allow to go through higher education. If not, we will have a large number of highly trained unemployed people.”

Reagan took Freeman’s advice to heart and increased tuition at the University of California. Reagan later became President of the United States. What do you think happened?

Now, long after Reagan’s death, we’re still in his era. His ghost looms over nearly every aspect of American political life. Access to higher education has been weaponized and commodified. Rich kids are allowed to learn while poor kids are trapped with shitty jobs and if they do aspire to educate themselves, they’re likely to be enslaved by debt. This is Ronald Reagan’s legacy on American education. We’re in Reagan’s Hell.

Considering how much shit we allow our government to get away with, I find American machismo kind of funny, especially the conservative variety. They brag about working hard for little pay and not complaining. But if they were really that tough, our government wouldn’t drown us in debt just because we wanted to learn. They’d take their guns and point them directly at the people who were fucking them in the first place, but they won’t do it because they’ve been conditioned into denying that their butts hurt in the first place.

I’ll end this article with a song by a man much smarter than I: Killer Mike.

FOLLOW MY WRITING ON INSTAGRAM HERE

FOLLOW BAY AREA MEMES ON FACEBOOK HERE

FOLLOW BAY AREA MEMES ON INSTAGRAM HERE

PURCHASE MY BOOK HERE

San Francisco's Portola Music Festival Was Hella Loud

The Other Unexpected Hazard on San Francisco's Streets

Abraham Woodliff - Bay Area Memelord

Abraham Woodliff - Bay Area Memelord

Abraham Woodliff is a San Francisco-based writer, editor and digital content creator known for Bay Area Memes, a local meme page that has amassed nearly 200k followers. His work has appeared in SFGATE, The Bold Italic and of course, BrokeAssStuart.com. His book of short stories, personal essays and poetry entitled Don't Drown on Dry Ground is available now!

1. Luciano Mezzetta
    September 29, 2022 at 12:34 pm — Reply

To the left side of my desk hangs my UC Berkeley certificate of my Bachelor of Arts degree in English. It was signed by Ronald Reagan, then governor of California. I am not proud of his signature. I am proud that I went to one of the finest universities of the world and did not have to get any kind of loan. I spent less than 4 thousand dollars in tuition , fees, and books in my four years there. I am in the class of 1967. I later got a Master’s. I have published books. I have traveled all over Europe. I have taught in Florence, in Milano, in Pisa, in San Francisco. I hope America realizes the real struggle is a CLASS struggle. If it does not, it will be a even more barbarous nation.

• September 30, 2022 at 10:09 am — Reply

• Luciano Mezzetta
        October 4, 2022 at 4:40 pm

You are hopelessly wrong and hopelessly proud of being a victim. You are part of the problem. You are not part of the solution.

2. David Pastor
    September 29, 2022 at 12:43 pm — Reply

It seems he failed in his plan, as UC Berkley churns out a large number of highly trained unemployed people.

3. Moi
    September 30, 2022 at 5:35 am — Reply

Woodliff, you are doing some good work here. But you are also doing some lazy stuff here. Reagan is an easy target. He isn’t, however, the best one.

Look into degrees that don’t pay. Look into activist departments that don’t provide jobs. Consider supporting vo-tech programs. Consider the side effects of promoting ‘free college’ for all when college doesn’t necessarily provide what it suggests.

Once again, Woodliff, you are huffing history and merely getting some fumes. But good on you for trying to inspire rage. You have the spirit. But you are really loose on the target.

A lot of people will gain from education. So inspire with a degree of understanding. Stirring up dirt doesn’t do it. Chasing history’s demon’s doesn’t either. Pointing the way does. But that requires you to stop whining and start providing. I know you can, Woodliff. So flat-brim your way to making real suggestions. Stop bottom-feeding for easy targets that, even you, fall prey to when your spliff and your whiff on being ‘edgy’ falls flat.

4. Moi
    October 1, 2022 at 3:49 am — Reply

CSL3 (are you a robot? from another planet? a computer program?), you also need to find time in your day to actually suggest a path forward.

I wasn’t going to reply to your reply. But I feel like it is bad form to take Woodliff to task for his misdirected ire and leave you waving nonsense. Thing is, when I have challenged you before, you either bellow without direct replies or simply ignore my questions.

In full, you said: “Until apologists realise that the “class struggle” is disproportionately targeted at marginalised groups (BIPoC, LGBTQ+, etc.), then all the bellowing about “class struggle” is just a slogan that one can throw around rather than tackling the actual issues that need to be addressed.”

So I ask you DVR245, I mean, CSL3:

1. Who are the apologists of which you speak? It is safe being vague.

2. Who is doing the targeting? You sorta’ fold your argument into a tautological tortilla.

3. What are the actual issues that need to be addressed? I get it. Sizzle. No steak. But provide at least a small measure of an answer if you are all hot and bothered (and using British spelling!).

CSL3, I realize that being angry is, at least for some, a way to make a mark in this world. But, really? Your reply to Woodliff–really, to Mezzetta, who was simply making a point of solidarity and not attempting to awaken the Kraken that is you and your razor-wired rhetoric, trip-wired to whatever it is you think you are actually doing/promoting/selling/arguing–wasn’t even a real reply. It was Che Guevara word-salad, spat out by Google, and synced with The Doors Greatest Hits and one or another dung-pile released by Rage Against the Machine.

I circle back to a comment I made to you months ago: on some level, we have things/ideas in common. A chat would be an incredible learning experience for both of us, and for the readers here. But I suspect that won’t happen (based on your previous non-answer to my suggestion and my attempt at an olive-branch).

I love to be challenged. I love to learn. I would really like to see us have a meeting of the minds. But methinks (and I could be wrong), that you are snug and comfy in being angry and edgy. That is the difference between you and Woodliff. He _is_ trying. But you are _trying_ (note: the same word can have multiple meanings, right?).

And I think that Mezzetta actually cared enough to make a point. Then you just decided to act like you ruled the roost when there was no actual roost to rule. Discussions involve others. Be a bit more kind and a bit more forgiving. It does wonders, CBGB.

Oh, wait. I know the retort: do as I say not as I do (not your other reply: too . . . many . . . words), right? Well, I do. Because I provide a response that is both kind (it is on point, a bit humorous, and detailed) and critical (I list the particulars of my actual points of disagreement). And I don’t suffer fools gladly or lightly. Then again, you don’t either . . . but with a difference.

5. Luciano Mezzetta
    October 4, 2022 at 4:44 pm — Reply

Thanks for being for seeing what is behind CSL3.

6. Moi
    October 15, 2022 at 5:43 am — Reply

Mezzetta, he is a pasta salad at the buffet. If only he would engage in actual discussions, so much the better. He hasn’t. And, I think, he won’t. He likes being a sniper. But, some of us at least, got his back.

And it pains him to respond to reasonable replies. When you spit fire and then go silent, you end up being just an ember in a great discussion. Anger is an energy. CSL2 is a sputtering mess.