City Offering Flood Disaster Relief Grants to Small Businesses
While some of us may have been above flood zones and mostly got through the past few weeks unscathed, there were several small businesses who are closed indefinitely due to flood damage. Luckily, San Francisco Office of Small Business (SFOSB) is taking steps to help ease the financial burden any flood damage may have had on the city’s small businesses.
On Tuesday, SFOSB announced $2,000-5,000 grants for businesses which were significantly impacted by the recent storms. Applications start today (Friday, January 20th) and are due by Friday, February 10 at 5PM. These grants are clearly just a drop in a bucket compared to the costs associated with getting some of these businesses back up and running. However, it’s still something and can help alleviate some of the costs associated with damage from the recent storms.
SFOSB will choose which small businesses have been awarded a grant by February 17th – this is all on a first-come-first-serve basis, based on fund availability.
First, you must have been impacted by the 2022-2023 winter storms. But they are also prioritizing grants as well.
As stated on their website. “We are prioritizing grants to businesses with significant damages, located in parts of the City most prone to flooding according to the City’s flood zone map. Check whether your business is in a flood zone. Businesses located away from a flood zone can still apply.”
Continue reading for more information on the application website.
It good to know that (maybe obviously) this does not include all of the Bay Area – you must be a San Francisco small business and meet certain prerequisites.
These additional requirements include…
- Must be registered in San Francisco to receive a Flood Disaster Relief Grant.
- Suffered significant physical damages from winter storm flooding
- Damages can date back to December 27, 2022
- Damages from wind or power outages are not eligible
- Must have a physical location in San Francisco
- There must be demonstrated damage to your business location
- Mobile businesses are not eligible
- Home-based businesses with valid permits/licenses to operate and are open to the public/customers are eligible (for example, home-based daycare centers)
- Can be a nonprofit if it generates revenue
- Must have $5 million or less in gross revenue
- Must have an average of 100 or fewer employeesAPPLY HERE STARTING JAN 20th
More about this Flood Disaster Relief Grants from the SFOSB website
“This program provides grants up to $2,000 or up to $5,000 to small businesses damaged by the 2022-2023 winter storms.
Business owners can use grant funds to address damages from winter storm flooding. Eligible small businesses can receive up to $5,000 if they are located in the Storm Flood Risk Zone, as defined by the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC).
Staff will determine your eligible grant amount when they review your submitted application. Eligible businesses outside of the Storm Flood Risk Zone boundary can qualify for an award up to $2,000. Grants are available on a first-come-first-serve basis, based on fund availability.”