All the Juneteenth Protests, Rallies, & Actions in the Bay Area
On June 19, 1865, Union general Gordon Granger read federal orders that officially ended slavery in the United States. Although the Emancipation Proclamation had occurred two and half years before, and the Civil War had ended in April, these federal orders acted to free the last remaining slaves in this country. Ever since then, Juneteenth (a combination of the words “June” and “nineteenth”) has been celebrated by African-Americans throughout the US.
Seeing as we’re in the midst of a new struggle for freedom, the liberation of Black communities from State violence at the hands of the police, this year’s Juneteenth is extra important. And because of that there are a whole bunch of awesome protests, rallies, and actions going down in the Bay Area. At this point we have almost 25!
The following is just part of the HUGE list we’re keeping updated of protests and rallies happening around the Bay Area each day. It’s a combination of events people of sent to me and events from SF Funcheap’s list.
Join our weekly newsletter so we can send you awesome freebies, weird events, incredible articles, and gold doubloons (note: one of these is not true).
Please note that we can’t vouch for any of the protests and events listed below. Things are moving at a very rapid rate and new protests keep popping up. In fact some of the info we have is just posters on people’s instagram pages. So be judicious, and if you show up to something that doesn’t feel right, you can always leave. Also make sure you know your rights as a protester.
Important note: We’re seeing spikes in COVID right now so, while attending all these Bay Area protests, it’s important to protect yourself and others. Make sure to wear masks, use hand sanitizer, and social distance yourself as much as possible. It’s also important to get free testing for COVID, even though you might not be showing symptoms. Learn all about how to get free testing right here.
Juneteenth Protests, Rallies, and Actions in the Bay Area
- 6/19 – Oakland – Juneteenth West Coast Port Shutdown & Caravan to Frank Ogawa Plaza – 10am
- 6/19 – SF – Black Lives Matter Caravan Protest – 10am – 1pm
- 6/19 – Antioch – Juneteenth Peace Walk, Arts & Music from City Hall to 6th & A St. – 11am to 3pm
- 6/19 – SF – March for Freedom & Justice – Ferry Bldg. to City Hall (June 19-20) – Noon
- 6/19 – Santa Rosa – Juneteenth Festival at Pioneer Park – Noon
- 6/19 – Oakland – 2nd Annual Bike 4 Justice Rally in West Oakland – 12:30pm to 4pm
- 6/19 – SF – “Kicking for Freedom” 3-mile skate through SF from Ferry Building – 1 to 3pm
- 6/19 – Fremont – Juneteenth March for Justice – Join Tesla Employees on March to City Hall – 1pm
- 6/19 – SF – Juneteenth Rally at City Hall – 1pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – Juneteenth at the Lake – Meet at Alameda Cty Courthouse & March around Lake Merritt – 1pm to Sunset
- 6/19 – SF – “Juneteenth in the City” at Dolores Park – 2pm
- 6/19 – Pittsburg – March for Justice from Buchanan Park to Marina – 3pm
- 6/19 – Santa Clara – March for Freedom Day – 3pm to 5pm
- 6/19 – Marin City – Juneteenth Rally at Rocky Graham Park – 3pm
- 6/19 – SF – Peaceful Yoga Protest at Dolores Park North – 4pm to 5pm
- 6/19 – Livermore – Black Lives Matter Protest at City Hall – Speeches & March to Carnegie Park – 4pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – California Nurses Assoc. Black Lives Matter Protest – Wear Red at Kaiser 3600 Broadway – 4pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – Juneteenth Youth March and Rally at DeFremery Park – 4pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – Lake Merritt Amphitheater Juneteenth Celebration – 4pm to 7pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – Justice for Juneteenth at Lake Merritt – 5pm
- 6/19 – Palo Alto – Defend Black Lives Protest at King Plaza, City Hall – 5pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – Park Blvd. Juneteenth Protest at Park btwn 580 and 13. – 5-6pm Take a Knee at 5:30pm (Daily)
- 6/19 – SF – Bay Swimmers in Solidarity Floating Protest – 5:30pm
- 6/19 – Oakland – “Black Mass” Juneteenth Spoken Word & Drum Circle at Lake Merritt Amphitheater – 7pm
#HellaJuneteenth Virtual Saturday
6/20 – FREEDOM – A Virtual Juneteenth Experience: An educational, cultural, and community-driven space powered by Toasted Life and HellaCreative to commemorate Juneteenth and our collective celebration of freedom. All proceeds go to Anti-police Terror Project.
1:30PM to 6:30PM PDT – curated segments featuring dope creatives, entrepreneurs, and entertainers with a focus on Black Business, Black Arts, and Black Healing. Tickets & schedule here.