Help Food Banks in San Francisco Help People in Need
Almost 1 in 4 San Franciscans struggle with hunger, according to figures put out by the SF-Marin Food Bank and reported on by the SF Chronicle.
Other figures reported include:
- 1 in 5 Marin residents are food insecure.
- 1 in 5 Alameda County residents go to the food bank.
- 12 percent of San Franciscans live below the poverty line (which was $24,250 for a family of four in 2015).
- 23 percent of San Franciscans live below 200 percent of the poverty line ($48,500) and qualify for nutrition benefits.
This holiday season, inflation and supply chain delays have caused prices for essentials like eggs, produce, and meat to go up by as much as 20 percent, Bay Area News Group reported. For the Alameda County Community Food Bank, that translates to an extra $60,000 a month.
SF-Marin Food Bank’s Food Locator tool helps locate weekly free groceries, monthly food boxes for seniors, one-time emergency food, and help enrolling in CalFresh (food stamps).
Join our weekly newsletter so we can send you awesome freebies, weird events, incredible articles, and gold doubloons (note: one of these is not true).
SFSU’s Student Resource and Empowerment Center compiled the following list of food banks in the Bay Area:
- Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Alameda Food Bank
- Berkley Food Pantry
- California Association of Food Banks
- Food Bank of Contra Costa & Solano
- Food Runners – San Francisco
- Hands On – Bay Area
- Mission Bay Community Church Food Pantry
- North Peninsula Food Pantry & Dining Center of Daly City
- Project Open Hand – Meals with love
- San Francisco and Marin Food Bank
- San Francisco City Impact Rescue Mission
- Second Harvest Food Bank – Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
- Second Harvest Food Bank – Santa Cruz county
- AS Food Pantry – SFSU
- Contra Costa County Food Bank
- Santa Clara and San Mateo County
As we head into the thick of winter holiday season, food banks welcome donations and volunteers as they continue to serve residents in need into the new year.