How to Make Incredible Baked French Toast
Cooking’s biggest enemies are motivation and patience. The idea of making something from scratch is always nice, but the execution? Before you’ve finished your mental list of the ingredients you need to grab from the store, you’ve probably found yourself sitting at a restaurant instead.
Now, imagine being the kind of with-it adult who not only opens envelopes that say “OPEN IMMEDIATELY” and therefore didn’t eff up your health insurance (oh, that was just me you say? shit…), but also invests energy into things even if you will not be rewarded until later. Like savings accounts! Flossing! And Baked French Toast!
I’m not sure about the first two, but know you can totally do the third and will wake up in the morning wanting to hug the you that made it the day before. (Warning: You can’t because time travel doesn’t exist yet. You must be kind of dumb!) Anyways, enjoy…
Broke-Ass Kitchen: Baked French Toast
– 1 Loaf of sourdough, french or challah bread cut up into 1-2″ thick pieces
– 8 Eggs
– 1 Quart of half and half (4 cups)
– 1 Stick of butter
– An orange (or OJ if you have)
About $8-10 total (serves 8, or if you’re eating with me… 2)
– 10 minutes to prepare
– 40 minutes to cook
– 8 hours to let sit
Serge Gainsbourg’s Histoire de Melody Nelson
– Coat a 9×13″ baking dish with butter, then cover the bottom with bread.
– In a small dish, beat together eggs and half and half, adding cinnamon, vanilla and juice from the orange to taste. You can also add blueberries, nuts or anything else you have on hand for a little extra sumthin sumthin.
– Pour the mixture over the bread and let sit covered overnight in the refrigerator.
– When ready to devour, uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
–When almost ready, melt a stick of butter in a small pan and pour over the mix, then serve with syrup.
– You can also double the butter and add 1/2 cup of brown sugar and pour over if you don’t want to do the syrup thing.
–Then share the goods with your roommates to make them forget about whatever thing you did recently that pissed them off. You’re welcome!