COVIDEat & DrinkWorkers Rights

The Awful Ways Maskholes are Treating Servers

The Bay's best newsletter for underground events & news

This maskhole is having an argument with the waitresses because she doesn’t want to wear a protective face mask in the cafe.

It’s been twelve long months that our country has been learning to live with Covid. On April 3, it will be exactly a year that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) first suggested that Americans wear facial coverings to help curtail the spread of the virus. Still, there are selfish people who refuse to wear masks and seem to enjoy creating scenes in public places while spreading their filthy germs all over others who are trying to do the right thing.

These people are called “maskholes” and they are most prevalent in grocery stores and restaurants. Just this week, a woman in a grocery store thought it made more sense for her to remove her thong and place that over her nose and mouth instead of a mask after a cashier asked her to cover her face. That’s a true maskhole, right there.

Waiters and waitresses have to deal with maskholes all the time too. Even though enforcing a mask mandate is nowhere in the job description of a server, that’s what’s happening again and again. A Denny’s waitress quit her job on the spot after two men refused to wear a mask and she was sick and tired of being the enforcer of a rule that she has nothing to do with. That waitress is not alone in her feelings of frustration. Dozens of servers have similar stories to share of their encounters with maskholes.

Bethany: “One of my regulars got out of his seat and reached across the bar to pull my mask off. Each time I asked him to stop as I pulled my head back. Finally had to tell him if he did it again, he’s out of the bar for the night.”

Mo: “I had someone call me a bitch because I asked her to keep her mask on until she had a drink in front of her.”

Monica: “I asked a maskless customer to wait on the patio while I brought him the bottled water he wanted. He argued that masks are ‘stupid’ and then when I brought him the water, he (seemingly purposefully) coughed on my arm. Someone there knew his name and I called the cops who spoke to him. He apologized.”

One server even keeps a tally of hashmarks in her server book to keep track of how many times she’s been asked why she’s wearing a mask. “I won’t admit how many marks there are, but I’ve heard every variation from ‘election virus’ and ‘global hoax’ to the classic ‘fake news.’ I’m over it.”

Some customers think the whole thing is a joke like the man who called his waitress “doctor” and said that his wife was ready for her proctology exam. These are all prime examples of maskhole behavior.

The most common occurrence of this “maskual harassment” is when a male customer tries to convince his female server to remove her mask as if it’s some kind of Covid-19 strip routine. Carol shares a story of a coworker who had to deal with four men coaxing her to pull her mask down. “It wasn’t just hey take off your mask because we can’t hear you. It turned into smile for me/show me something.” When she wouldn’t do what they wanted, they called her a bitch and a male server took over the table. In a perfect world, those men would have been asked to leave the restaurant entirely. Another server named Donna says that a man told her he wouldn’t tip her at all until she took off her mask and smiled at him. Fortunately, a woman at the table told the creep he was making his server feel uncomfortable and the harassment stopped. By the way, a waitress’ smile has NOTHING to do with how much she should be tipped.

Maskholes are everywhere. If a restaurant or grocery store requires a mask for service, then wear the mask. If you don’t like it, there’s no need to verbally harass the employee who asks you to put it on. Just accept the rules or don’t. Cashiers, store employees, and servers don’t want to act like hall monitors in the sixth grade and have to constantly remind customers about the rules. They just want to do their jobs as safely as they can and get through this pandemic just like everyone else does. Wear your freaking mask and for God’s sake, don’t be a maskhole.

Biden Saves Summer With Major Vaccine Announcement

‘Beach Blanket Babylon’ Venue Club Fugazi Is Getting A New Show

Bitchy Waiter

Bitchy Waiter

Darron Cardosa is a writer, actor, singer, and waiter. He lives and and works in New York City and enjoys "The Brady Bunch," "The Facts of Life" and cocktails almost as much as he hates your baby.

1. thingmaker
    March 3, 2021 at 1:46 pm

Hey… That thong configuration actually is a good concept for a mask!

2. Leslie Weimer
    March 4, 2021 at 8:50 am

a dumb story. it a choice and not everyone can wear a stupide mask. it does not help prevents covid. you can’t stop a virus it comes. that how we get stronger.

• NoneOfYourBusiness
      March 4, 2021 at 10:23 am

Leslie Weimer, Maskhole Exhibit A 🙄

• John Alberto Tuvo
      March 4, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Great story. Most people can wear a mask. It is not fun , but necessary to help prevent the spread of disease. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, some masks are more effective than others in preventing COVID, though those masks with filters work better. Although what I say probably will not effect you, I do suggest you like at the evidence. The places that enforced mask wearing have lower rates of the virus, such as San Francisco, as compared to the places that did not.

3. HalfBaked
    April 11, 2021 at 12:29 pm

One of my favorite servers at a taproom I like stopped someone who coming in without a mask. They said they had a medical condition and couldn’t wear a mask. She said, “Yeah, we don’t do that here. It’s not like you need to be in here.”
    They went out to their car and came back with a mask.

4. David S. Wholly
    May 6, 2021 at 12:08 pm

True enough. You should always respect the rules that an establishment has. If you can’t abide by them, then don’t go in. If they don’t want guns, don’t bring in guns. If they want you to wear a mask, then wear a mask. I personally disagree with them, but I’ll respect the rules of the establishment, even if I think the rule is stupid. You don’t NEED to be in there, after all.

Of course, you also have the opposite extreme “maskhole”… the “mask shamer” “mask enforcer” and “mask snitches”. These lovely people like to try to force you to wear a mask, even if it’s not necessary, such as when you’re outside, by yourself (or just well outside the magical 6-foot distance). If you don’t wear one, they’ll report you, or at least threaten to.

You’re walking the dog, going for a run, or just doing outside physical labor in the hot Florida sun without a mask, and eventually, you’ll get the dreaded “Excuuuuuuuse meeee…. why aren’t you wearing a maaaaask!? Shouldn’t you be wearing a MASK!?”.

Opposite extremes result in equal a-holery.

• Lisa Sexton
      January 27, 2022 at 5:54 pm

You are dead on accurate!! Where I live the mask is mandatory in any public place with some gatherings being mandated to prove your full vaccination.. the vast majority are not the choice of the establishment in my county they are simply doing it to avoid being fined and /or shutdown! I remember when for a time the mandate was lifted here but some grocery stores still asked you to wear a mask but they wouldn’t approach anyone who wasn’t so I just wore mine because the store was requesting it. I respect that or I could’ve shopped elsewhere.. a woman with no mask confronted me screaming “Why do you have that stupid mask on?? What are you?? Sick?? If you have to wear it you should stay home!!” I looked her dead in the face and loudly asked her if this were a cultural or religious face covering would you ask me such an ignorant out of line question??? It’s no one’s business why a person chooses to mask if there’s no mandate!! If you’re so worried that mask wearing suggests one is sick and you’re fearful of that YOU STAY HOME!!! How many times before Covid I’ve seen cancer patients wearing masks in public as they deserve to go out in public but are immune compromised?? Bottom line is you David are totally correct with saying just mind your business and respect the policy of where you venture to even if you agree or not.. everyone should have your level of common sense!!

5. Lisa Sexton
    January 27, 2022 at 5:38 pm

I’m a server of 31 years. I’ve worked in my current place for 24 of those years. The mask mandate was NEVER our choice!! If you live where there is an ongoing mandate it’s handed down by the politicians in that area. You’re told wear it enforce it to your patrons or face steep financial penalties and possible shut down.. so I took on the response of if you are anti mask go sit on the steps or outside the home of those governing the mandate!! I am not shy about it anymore nor fear losing my job by telling it like it is.. the last straw came when I had a customer manage to get past me without a mask upon entry and seat himself. I politely explained the mandate we have to enforce and offered him one of our disposable masks to use when getting up from his table as that’s the policy we HAVE TO FOLLOW… he took the water I brought to him picked it up threw it in my face and called me a FUCKING COMMUNIST!! I picked up the edge of the table tipping it so the contents left on the table landed everywhere and yelled back YOUR A FUCKING ASSHOLE GET UP AND GET YOUR ASS OUT!! You people who go out and bully workers who are trying to keep their livelihoods are COWARDS!!! If you really had a set of balls and weren’t lazy asses you’d take your attitude to the source!!! My boss wasn’t thrilled with me, but didn’t give me any consequences for my actions because he knew I wasn’t wrong.. in NO UNIVERSE IS THIS ACCEPTABLE TO BEHAVE THAT WAY FOR SOMETHING SO IRRELEVANT THAT HAS NOT A MAJOR IMPACT ON YOUR OVERALL EXISTENCE!!! On the other side of the mask mandate.. if you are somewhere where there is no mandate but you choose yourself to wear a mask you have NO RIGHT TO GO ATTACKING THOSE EXERCISING THEIR RIGHT TO NOT WEAR IT!!! Follow the rules of wherever you are entering as they most likely aren’t the establishments policy and if you wish not to or don’t agree with them SIMPLY STAY HOME AND WALLOW IN YOUR MISERY OR SEEK THERAPY!! Plain and simple!!