Arts and CultureBoozeEat & DrinkMusicSan Francisco

Best Place in SF to Get Cheap BBQ and Beer

I’m gonna be really real right now: the only thing that gets me wetter than fantasizing about making it with one of Marva Whitney’s back-up dancers is basking in the sun and eating some down home, backyard barbeque. You can imagine my reaction, then, when I heard about Hard French, the new outdoor soul dance party happening the first Saturday of every month. Party hosts DJ Carnita and DJ Brown Amy spin classic soul hits in the midday sun '“ and they do it real vinyl, not from their iPods like some stupid DJ AM shit. And here’s the kicker that made me cream: for just $10, you get access to this party plus all-you-can-eat barbeque and all-you-can-drink beer. It’s a broke-ass bonanza!

The party is held at El Rio. I’ll be honest: I’m on the fence about a lot of gay bars. I mostly love them because the drinks are stiff and the thrills are cheap. But a lot of times, they can be a Lady Gaga, STD, weird anal bead chandelier bummer. While Hard French prides itself on attracting a sexually ambitious/ambiguous kind of crowd, this party is by no means gross orgy with a bunch of homos. It’s about hard dancing, hard soul, and Hard Frenching. If you’re gay '“ great. If you’re straight '“ that’s okay too. And if you’re neither, there’s always the barbeque.

Five Things You Could've Done This Weekend With That Extra Hour

Hair: Awesome Salon in Greenpoint

Rebecca Pederson - Cheap Date

Rebecca Pederson - Cheap Date

Rebecca graduated from UC Santa Cruz with a degree in Literature, but she tells everyone she majored in Psychology so they don't ask her for book recommendations. She likes coffee, pickles, free yoga classes, and spends a lot of time with her dog.

1. March 12, 2010 at 5:02 pm

What about an orgy with a bunch of colored folks? Or spics? Or beaners? Will those kind of people be there too?

2. bryce
    March 12, 2010 at 6:17 pm

thanks brock, you said it far better than i couldve.

3. March 12, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I’m totally there!

4. Stephen Torres - Threadbare-Fact Finder (Editor, San Francisco)
    March 12, 2010 at 7:27 pm

Gross, no. An orgy full of homos, def yes. That’s kinda it’s charm right?

5. Broke-Ass Stuart - Editor In Cheap
    March 13, 2010 at 10:20 am

It could be fun if we all wear pejorative name tags. Mine could say “Jew Bastard”

6. March 15, 2010 at 9:06 am

[…] Getting named the Best Place in SF to Get Cheap BBQ & Beer is like winning an Oscar, except people actually care!  We’ve always <3′d Broke Ass […]

7. L.C.
    March 15, 2010 at 10:27 am

the hard french atmosphere was so comfortable and relaxed – very unlike the packed and more sleezy environments of El Rio’s mango and that salsa party. i mean, homo orgies are great or whatever, but i just can’t get into them on that scale during the daytime.

also, i don’t really understand all these comments with racial epithets. Is there a compelling reason the first commenter wanted to make cultural commentary in the blogosphere that is patently offensive and in no way clever or witty? Why use those terms? Especially when the queer people of color who put on hard french can no longer enjoy the nice article Ms. Pederson wrote about their event? Seems kind of low-brow, gawker.com style to me.

8. […] Jump to Comments Last week, I wrote a post for Broke-Ass Stuart about Hard French, and it caused a little bit of controversy. Shout out to the Real Nitty Gritty for defending me on their blog! It was much appreciated, guys. […]

9. […] Jump to Comments Last week, I wrote a post for Broke-Ass Stuart about Hard French, and it caused a little bit of controversy. Shout out to the Real Nitty Gritty for defending me on their blog! It was much appreciated, guys. […]

10. Stephen Torres - Threadbare-Fact Finder (Editor, San Francisco)
    March 17, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Hard French sounds like it’s in that rare class. Other parties have been known to be just a little polarizing.