All the Awesome NYE Events
Updated: Dec 29, 2016 16:06
The Bay's best newsletter for underground events & news
OFF MENU IS SPONSORED BY EMPEROR NORTON’S BOOZELAND THE TENDERLOIN’S NEWEST HISTORIC DIVE. HAPPY HOUR NOON – 7PM
Just about everyone I know is ready for 2016 to hit the garbage heap of history. While I am more of a dinner party with friends kinda person, San Francisco and the East Bay have no shortage of fun ways to to welcome the start of the New Year. There are the usual of super fancy swindigs, but we are keeping it to event where ticket prices at least start at under $100.
Assuming the fog doesn’t roll in you can always catch the Fireworks show over the Embarcadero for free.
- NYE with Titus and Jane at the SF Symphony: Davies Hall, 201 Van Ness $59-180 Award-winning actors and Broadway veterans Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) and Jane Krakowski (30 Rock) bring their one-of-a-kind chemistry to the San Francisco Symphony for their first ever full-length concert collaboration. Celebrate the New Year with a healthy dose of charisma and humor as these two sing hits from the stage and screen.
- Bootie SF NYE: DNA Lounge 375 11th St $35-55 It’s New Year’s Eve … you know it’s gonna get crazy! So drop the attitude, pretense and high expectations, and ring in the New Year with Bootie SF! Filling the DNA Lounge with four different rooms of dancing all night long, Bootie will not only have the traditional champagne toast at midnight, but also THREE different balloon drops! So it won’t matter which room you end up in – you won’t miss out at midnight!
- Cool Ghouls: Brick and Mortar 1710 Mission St $15 Heavily influenced by pop, psych, surf, and folk-rock of the sixties, Cool Ghouls sound a lot like what I imagine the Byrds would sound like if they always cranked it to 11. They write catchy melodies, but their tight harmonies sung at the top of their lungs are highlights for me. Throw in a little lo-fi production, and you have some material that is meant to be played loud with a smile on your face.
- NYE with Soul Party: Virgils Sea Room, 3152 Mission St, $5 Ring in 2017 with Saturday Night Soul Party, one of San Francisco’s longest running Soul-centric parties spanning the golden era of Soul Music from the early 1960’s to the early 1970’s. Grab your dancing shoes for a hip shaking neighborhood New Year’s Eve party! **Free Fernet-Branca toast at midnight**
- BUZZ: an NYE Party benefiting The Lab: The Lab, 2948 16th St $85 (incl open bar) Bust out of the hive this New Year’s Eve for BUZZ, an epic performance art experience conceived entirely by artists to benefit The Lab. Alongside elaborate costumes, subversive beauty, and an ensemble of SF’s most fabulous characters, BUZZ brings you the requisite hedonism of an open bar and dancing until 3am. Far from your typical end-of-the-world blowout, this is will be like partying in a nuclear fallout shelter while watching a Jerry Lewis Telethon… with Peaches Christ.
- Swagger like Us: F8 1192 Folsom St $20 Featuring DJ: Venus X (GHE20G0TH1K) DJs: davO, Val G, Adam Kraft, Jasmine Infiniti Hosts: Kelly Lovemonster, Viktor Belmont, Dexter Flawk Photos: Takeover Tokyo, Door Gay: Mike Scot Open Bar Happy Hour 9p-11p
- NYE Havana Nights: Novela 662 Mission St $30 We’re sending you an invitation you can’t refuse….
Celebrate the New Year like the Godfather! Join us for an evening of drinks, dancing, and good ol’ fashioned mob fun. No need to travel to Cuba, Novela is trasnforming into a little Havana. Enjoy all of our house specialty cocktails & punch as well as a one-night only cocktail list inspired by the Godfather. Mafia/Mob Suits & Flapper/Cocktail dresses encouraged.
- A Very Gatsby NYE: SPiN 690 Folsom St $30 the ultimate Gatsby themed fete to help you ring in 2017! Don your finest cocktail attire and PONG in the new year as you enjoy ping pong, dancing, passed appetizers, drinks and perhaps a midnight rendezvous. Arrive in style with your group of friends or upgrade to live lavishly with one of our Pong & Bottle packages. DJ G-Beats will be on the turntables all night.
- Hepcats and Delirum: Slim’s 333 11th St $40 Champagne toast & ballon drop at midnight!
Hepcat was formed in late 1989/early 1990 in Los Angeles, California by vocalist Greg Lee and keyboardist/vocalist Deston Berry. Over the years, fate has coaxed the band through several member changes, but the core Hepcat of today (more than 20 years later) is still comprised largely of original players.
- Kaskade: Bill Graham Civic Auditorium $95-250 KONNECT with other KASKADE fans to end the year, and ring in the new … the only way we know how!!!
- Sleater-Kinney: The Masonic $40-75 Sleater-Kinney came crashing out of the ’90s Pacific Northwest riot grrrl scene, setting a new bar for punk’s political insight and emotional impact. Hailed as “America’s best rock band” by Greil Marcus in Time Magazine, and as “America’s best punk band ever. EVER” by Rob Sheffield in Rolling Stone, the band put out seven searing albums in 10 years before going on indefinite hiatus in 2006. Almost a decade later, the trio–guitarists/vocalists Corin Tucker, Portlandia’s Carrie Brownstein and drummer Janet Weiss–has come back together for 2015’s No Cities To Love.
- 80’s NYE: Cat Club 1190 Folsom $20-500 Are you as ready as we are to move on to next year? Join us as we give 2016 a good swift kick in the arse! Hosted by Randy & Damon. We’ve got two rooms of the best in Music and Video for 1 price, with 6 DJ’s and 7 continuous hours of pleasurable stimulation and excitement. Expect to hear Extra Prince and David Bowie, 2 of our all time favorites that sadly passed away this year.
- Mango NYE: El Rio 3158 Mission St $15 The Sweet & Sexy NYE for Women who LOVE Women & their Friends… the only place to party where YOU are our VIPs!!! Outside & inside dance space (music plays outside until 10pm). Complimentary champagne at midnight + free food & treats Hot Hip Hop and spicy Latin beats by selectas Olga T, Lady Lu, and Edaj
- Con Brio: The Chapel 777 Valencia St. $45 adv/$50 door One of the best funk and soul bands in the Bay Area is having a two night residency at the Chapel. Show ups ith your dancing shoes and be prepared to sweat!
- 36 hour New Year’s Musical Festival The Great Northern 119 Utah St. $20-$55 The Great Northern will host its ofIicial launch over New Year’s weekend with a marathon celebration comprised of three back-to-back events: End of the World Disco, It’s a New Day Block Party, and The After Party. If you like amazing dance music you can pretty much party for days straight.
- Hubba Hubba Review NYE Burlesque Bash: Uptown Night Club, 1928 Telegraph Ave Oakland $20 Join the tops in tease as the Bay Area’s world-famous Hubba Hubba Revue kicks 2016 right in the ass, & rings in the New Year w/the best in ♥ BURLESQUE ♥ & those madcap kings of sinister swing, Lee Presson and the Nails! Shimmering Showgirls, New Year’s thrills & much more!
- Soulovely: The New Parish 1742 San Pablo Ave Oakland $20 Bring in 2017 with Soulovely. With your SouLadies: Aima the Dreamer, DJ Emancipacion, DJ Lady Ryan, Special Guest: DJ Bisou. Live performance by: MoonCandy Live House Ensemble Project. Dancers: India Sky & Amaryllis aka Wildhomegirl
- Primus Silver Anniversary Extravaganza: Fox Theatre Oakland $59-69 Join Primus, The Claypool Lennon Delirium and The Duo de Twang in celebrating the 25th Bay Area New Years Eve Show in a row with Les Claypool. Some special guests will be sure to join throughout the night as well. This New Years Eve promises to bring back some fond memories of New Years past, present and future. This show is not too be missed.
- New Wave’s Eve: The Night Light 311 Broadway Oakland $5 A new wave & goth dance party with four DJs on two dancefloors! Ring in the new year to the sounds of Siouxsie and The Banshees, Joy Division, The Smiths, The Go-Gos, David Bowie and many, many more! Champagne toast at midnight!
- Mardi Gras Masquerade: Luka’s Taproom 2221 Broadway Oakland $10-15 We’ve put together some great DJ’s and decided to do a Mardi Gras Masquerade themed party. Dress to impress in casual-chic or masquerade attire, there will be an on-site Photographer, as well as Party Favors, Free Giveaways along with confetti, mask, and of course beads! Enjoy music by DJ Leydis, DJ True Justice, and Veyn. Plus, don’t miss our grand countdown at 12:00 Midnight and comlimentary champagne toast!
- NYE Balkan Bash: Ashkenaz 1317 San Pablo Ave, Berkeley $25 An all-night affair of Balkan music and dance hosted by Édessa, in honor of the late Ashkenaz founder David Nadel and the music he first featured at his world dance club. It has been known to go into the wee hours. This year’s event includes the Balkan and Beyond folk music of Édessa followed by the return of the wild brass band Fanfare Zambaleta, plus a Cajun-Scandinavian mix to open the festivities as True Life Trio collaborates with fiddlers Joe Finn and Leslie Bonnett. For those still standing, the champagne toast (an ancient Balkan tradition) is included!
Like this article? Make sure to sign up for our mailing list so you never miss a goddamn thing!